Marketing Momentum

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Goals for Your Blog

If you're blogging than you must obviously have a reason for it. But there real question is, do you have a well thought out plan for your blog especially if your blogging for business?

Blogs and Connections: Process and Goal Setting provides good insight on developing your blog for the purpose you intend.

Key highlights:
  • Identify what your blog is expected to achieve in the way of goals.
  • Develop an action plan for writing timely and informative posts, the number of posts written per week, finding new and interesting content ideas, building a readership audience through increased visitor traffic, and developing interaction and connections with the readers, other bloggers, current and potential customers and clients, and the internet population as a whole.
  • To create a successful blog and develop long term connections and relationships, your blog must have predetermined goals that are flexible to change.

I initially created my blog to get into podcasting. I have an iPod and I enjoy listening to podcasts, so I thought it would be fun to get into podcasting. Although, that's still a goal I hope to achieve, my blog currently provides me with a means staying up-to-date on marketing issues and sharing that information and my thoughts with others; utilizing technology that will, one day, totally change the way I, as a marketer, communicate with target audiences; and, unexpectedly, a course to propose to local colleges.

The action plan is probably the most difficult. I initially thought I would post everyday and after a week or two, reality set in. With work, volunteer activities, and trying to find sometime for a social life with family and friends, I don't have the time to post everyday. Plus, looking for news, that interests me, isn't always easy. So, now my action plan for posting is down to two - three times a week.

Filed In: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • It is amazing how goals can change in the short term, as they did for your blog. Your podcasting goal remains for the longer term, and will be a powerful marketing addition once it's implemented for your blog.

    The great thing about blogging is the almost unlimited flexibility and creative options that the medium provides to the writer. Different needs and requirements, at different times, can be met through the blog's chameleon like ability to change.

    As far as your blogging frequency goes, three times a week is a number that I recommend to my clients as a starting level. It's enough posts to keep the blog fresh, and a number of postings that allows for your time to be used elsewhere in your business and in your personal life. Over time, the number of posts per week can rise to more freqent articles, time permitting of course. :-)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:24 PM  

  • Thanks for the feedback! I've often wondered about a good starting level for posting frequency, but never came across any advice or guidelines.

    By Blogger Mary Ann Davis, at 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home